Pages

Sunday, January 15, 2012

What is Healthy Eating? TED talk

Everyone has their own definition of healthy eating. For some it's cutting out red meat, eating only fish, switching to skim milk, buying fat free products, cutting out sugar, eating their favorite dessert only once a month, using protein powders, eating raw, buying only organic... the list goes on. There is no one definition of healthy eating. It's totally subjective. It's different for everyone and typically changes over the span of your life.

My goal is to be heart attack proof! Heart disease is still the number one killer in America! It doesn't have to be that way but we eat such a SAD (Standard American Diet) way- high in fat and highly processed. I have been a vegetarian most my life but after reading Preventing and Reversing Heart Disease by Dr. Esselstyn I have become a "Vegan Plus" (my own terminology). I not only don't eat animal products, I cut out all oil and eat as many greens as possible. Sound extreme?... So is cracking your chest open to save your life. I would rather eat healthy.

Here is an excellent TED talk that Dr. Esselstyn just hosted. It's worth the short watch.



I would love to tell all of American this good news! I have known too many young friends with high cholesterol, taking statins and eating a "healthy" diet still have heart attacks. I don't want one more dear person dying from the power of nutrition. The power of nutrition can either harm or heal you. I hope you pass this on to others are inspired to change a few things in your own diet. My desire is to continue to share with you truly healthy information and practical ways to incorporate it into your lifestyle. I'm always learning new things trying new recipes. You get the benefit of not having to try all my failed "experiments"! LOL!

Let me know what you think of Dr. Esselstyn's talk. Were you amazed? Stunned? Challenged? Encouraged?

No comments:

Post a Comment