Pages

Saturday, January 7, 2012

No Oil Bruschetta with Baked Pita Chips

A few days ago, I made this delicious, easy snack. It's based on Chef AJ's A Better Bruschetta recipe from her book Unprocessed. I view recipes as inspiration and don't worry about following the measurements. I will add more or less ingredients depending on my mood and family's preferences. So use my modifications and create your own yummy version of no oil bruschetta with my quick baked pita chips!
Here's how I made the bruschetta:

Mix all these ingredients together in a bowl! It's that easy!
6 chopped Roma tomatoes
1 chopped red bell pepper
1 14-oz can of artichoke hearts (rinsed and chopped)
3 cloves of garlic (I buy bagged, peeled cloves from Trader Joe's and use a garlic press)
1/4 of a red onion, chopped super fine (my husband doesn't like big chunks of onion)
1 cup of chopped basil - (I didn't measure, I just used one basil bunch from the store)
a handful of chopped Italian basil
2 Table spoons of balsamic vinegar

Chef AJ's recipe calls for sun dried tomato powder but I didn't have any. She says you can make it from grinding your own sun dried tomatoes. I tried this but it didn't work for me. I looked in three different stores and couldn't find the powder. You have to buy this on line. One day I'll buy it and try it but this recipe is great without it!

How I made the baked pita chips:

I bought no oil added, whole wheat pita bread from Trader Joes. Then I cut them into quarters using a pizza cutter. Put them on the rack of my toaster over at 425 degrees and baked for about 6-8 minutes. They were crisp and tasty- perfect for scooping up the bruschetta!

The next day, I modified the left overs to make a meal! I mixed in a can of rinsed, white beans. Then put a few huge spoonfuls over brown rice. You have an instant, healthy, filling meal! To make it super quick, I always have frozen brown rice in the freezer so all I have to do is put it in a bowl and microwave for a few minutes. Easy nutrition that will make your insides smile :)

3 comments:

  1. So yummie! Hope you enjoy it! It's great for when company comes over and you need to set out some snacks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A friend served this as an appetizer on Easter and all I can say is WOW! It's packed with flavor and hearty enough to be a main meal. Yum!!

    ReplyDelete