Pages

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Hummus- More Versitile Than You May Think & A Super Easy Recipe!



If you think you don't like hummus, give this heart healthy, red pepper version a try... you might change your mind! It's so easy to make I don't even need to write out the recipe... just look at the pictures!
2 cans of garbanzo beans, 1 jar of roasted red peppers in water, 3 tsp lemon juice, 1 tsp cumin, 2 garlic gloves

Place everything in a food processor or blender.

Blend!!
 

I altered the original version slightly for my personal tastes. I found the recipe in in the book Preventing and Reversing Heart Disease by Dr. Cadwell Esselstyn.  As recommended by Dr. Esselstyn to prevent or reverse heart disease, I don't ate oils or nuts or seeds (watch here to see the "Reader's Digest" version of his book). Since it is really hard to find hummus without olive oil and impossible to find it without tahini (sesame seed butter), I make my own.

Try This!
I have use hummus in many ways. It's something I like to always have on hand. 
  •  It can be a quick snack on the go... just buy packed hearts of Romain lettuce and use the stiff leaves as a dipper/spoon. 
  • It's a great sandwich spread- it adds favor and headiness to your veggie sandwich.
  • Use it instead of pizza sause on your next no cheese, all vegetable pizza!
  • My most recent favorite thing is spreading it on sprouted english muffins (Food for Life makes  delicious ones) and toasting it. Then I add sliced tomatoes and cilantro.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Lady!

    LOL ... Just found your Blog! My husband and I recently watched "Forks over Knives" and decided to take the plunge. We feel amazing! After a month, I've been able to drop my BP medicine back down and my husband (very fit) dropped 50 pts off his cholesterol! (He was over 300 as well!)

    Just found the power of Hummus and will try out your amazing recipe! Thx for the Bruschetta and Pita chips as well!! (He loves chips!)

    Anyway ... hope everything finds you well. I see you haven't posted since March, but I'll keep ya on my radar ... just in case!!

    Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete